Alright folks, it has been quite sometime since I have done a post on this page! But, I recently made some super delicious bars that inspired me to get back in the swing of things here. I have also been busy on my other page The Mane Squeeze, which is focused more on hair, fashion, beauty and all of that good stuff.
Anyways, the Rhubarb in my backyard was almost on the brink of going past its prime but I caught it in time with a reminder from Richard. I’ve never actually cooked or baked with Rhubarb before, but my mom always did as we had some in my backyard growing up as well. I decided to mix it up with some strawberries (not from the backyard, but still local ) and try out some crumb bars topped with a cinnamon and nutmeg glaze. All I can say is yum! I had to send the majority with Richard to work out of fear of eating them all.
Strawberry Rhubarb Bars
1½ cups unsweetened rhubarb, chopped
1½ cups strawberries, sliced
1 tbsp lemon juice
½ cup white sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
1½ all purpose flour
1½ quick cook oats
1 tbsp flax seeds
1 cup packed brown sugar
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
¾ cup butter, softened
¾ cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp milk
¼ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. In a saucepan combine rhubarb, strawberries and lemon juice. Cover and cook over medium heat until tender, stirring occasionally.
2. Combine the white sugar and cornstarch, and stir into fruit mixture. Cook until mixture comes to a boil and mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and set aside.
3. Combine all of the crust ingredients in a bowl, except for the egg. Beat at a low speed until mixture becomes crumbly. Reserve 1½ cups of crust mixture, set aside. Beat in 1 egg into the remainder of the crumb mixture.
4. Line bottom of a 9×13 greased pan with the egg crumb mixture. Then spread the filling evenly across the crust. Then sprinkle the reserved crumb mixture.
5. Bake for 30-35 mins or until golden brown. Let the bars cool completely.
6. Combine all of the glaze ingredients in a bowl and drizzle over the bars. Enjoy!